Printed on Japanese paper wrappers, this is one of the original programs from modernist playwright and poet Gertrude Stein’s Doctor Faustus Lights the Lights production with The Living Theatre. Performed by the experimental theatre group in 1951, Stein wrote the play as a libretto for an opera. The Living Theatre was founded by Judith Malina and Julian Beck in 1947 as an alternative to commercial theatre. During the 1950s and early 1960s, the theatre provided a platform for poetic drama stagings such as Stein’s work, that otherwise did not exist in New York at the time. Since its origination, The Living Theatre has staged close to one-hundred productions in twenty-eight countries on five different continents.
Measures 11.5 x 16.5 inches framed